An easy and flavorful dish, with silky chicken and mushrooms, and colorful, crunchy vegetables.
Yield: 2 Servings
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast or thigh meat, sliced thinly
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup snow peas, cut in half lengthwise
- 6 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup chicken stock, canned or homemade
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot
- 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons, chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- steamed rice
In a large skillet or wok, heat 1 tablespoon oil. When smoking, add chicken and stir-fry lightly, until cooked through. With a slotted spoon, remove chicken and reserve (keep warm).
Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to wok and stir-fry onion, carrot, celery, bell pepper, snow peas and mushrooms for 2 minutes. Add water chestnuts. In a small bowl, whisk together chicken stock, vinegar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, garlic, ginger, sugar and cornstarch; add to vegetable mixture and bring to a boil.
Remove vegetable mixture from heat and stir in chicken. Divide between plates and sprinkle scallions and peanuts. Serve immediately with steamed rice.