Yield: 2 sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 2 pieces flat focaccia bread, 4-inches square, or 4 slices country-style bread
- extra virgin olive oil for brushing
- 1 cup mixed gourmet salad greens
- 1/4 pound prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound mozzarella or fontina cheese, thinly sliced
In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and pesto until blended. Preheat an electric panini press.
For each sandwich, cut 1 focaccia square in half horizontally. Lightly brush the outer side of each slice with olive oil. Flip 1 slice over and spread with pesto mayonnaise. Top with greens and then with prosciutto and cheese. Position the other focaccia slice on the top, oiled side up. Repeat procedure with remaining ingredients to make other sandwich.
Arrange sandwiches in the panini press. Place press on sandwiches and cook until grill marks appear, about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer sandwiches to a cutting board and cut in half. Serve immediately with additional mayonnaise on the side.