Mariners’ Seafood Cocktail
This showstopper requires the freshest seafood you can find. Choose any variety you enjoy and match your catch with a zingy, lip-smacking sauce.
Yield: 2-10 servings
- 1 gallon water
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- Large shrimp, peeled and deveined (1-2 per serving)
- Bay scallops (5 per serving)
- Squid, cleaned and sliced in 1/2 inch pieces (6 ounces per serving)
- Crab claws or legs (1 per serving)
- Fully cooked lobster meat (2 ounces per serving)
- Fully cooked crab meat (2 ounces per serving)
- Mussels, steamed in their shells and chilled (2 per serving)
Sauce and Garnish
- Cocktail sauce of your choice or guacamole
- Salsa (optional)
- Lemon wedges for garnish
In a large saucepan, combine poaching liquid ingredients and bring to a boil. Add shrimp (if using) and simmer just until done. Remove shrimp with a strainer, place in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Repeat with scallops, squid, and crab claws/legs–whichever you are using. Coarsely chop lobster meat (if using) and chill. Drain crab meat well (if using) and pick out any shell pieces; reserve chilled.
For each serving, spoon some cocktail sauce (or guacamole) into a goblet. Top with cooked seafood of your choice attractively arranged. (If using guacamole, spoon some salsa over the top.) Serve immediately garnished with lemon wedges.
Courtesy of Holland America Line ” A Taste of Excellence Cookbook” by Rudi Sodamin, 2006.